Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review: For Keeps

Friday, October 12, 2012


Title: For Keeps
Author: Aaron Paul Lazar
Genre/s: Paranormal Mystery, Suspense

Synopsis: 

When retired family doctor Sam Moore’s old girlfriend is murdered in a local hotel, the police suspect his involvement. The coroner, a former med school colleague whose husband is about to desert her, reveals that she had a crush on Sam in med school. When she is strangled the next day in her own morgue, Sam is once again in the hot seat.

Sam’s world falls apart when he returns home to find a family member killed in the laundry room, stabbed with his own garden shears. Rocketed into a world of denial and temporary insanity, Sam faces his worst fear, and is locked up in the very same psych ward he was in when his brother Bill died fifty years ago. Sam is determined to ask his long dead brother to help him. Billy, who communicates through a little green marble, has the ability to propel Sam through time and has helped Sam unwrap baffling mysteries in the past.


Sam’s plan: to change time, and bring his loved one back to life.


My Thoughts:

For Keeps is not your typical paranormal mystery novel about solving murder cases. It has more depth than that. It will take you on a emotional quest, along with Sam, as he try to defy the laws of physics, change the past and reunite with his only true love.

I really like Sam Moore' character. He's a caring brother, a loving husband, an understanding father and a really cool grandfather. He actually reminded me of my grandpa, the way he treated Evan and Timmy. I instantly feel at ease with his character.

The tension in the plot was a little bit low for my liking. I mean, it kept me guessing who the killer was and why he was doing it but after the culprit was identified, the tension stopped there. I don't know, maybe I was just expecting a more exciting revelation about the murderer. But the story was still great, though. And time travelling never ceased to amaze me especially if its about changing the present and saving someone very important.

To sum it all up, it was an enjoyable read. I'd recommend it to everyone who likes a hard-to-put-down mystery novel with a heartfelt love story.

My Rating
Books for YA! © 2015