Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers

Monday, November 26, 2012

Title: The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers
Author: Lynn Weingarten
Genre/s:  Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Synopsis:


If there’s an upside to having your heart broken, it’s this: A broken heart makes you brave.


The first day of sophomore year doesn’t go the way Lucy planned. After a summer apart from her boyfriend, she’s ready to greet him with a special surprise and instead gets a shocking one in return: He’s breaking up with her. Beyond devastated, Lucy has no idea how she’s going to make it through homeroom, let alone the rest of her life.

Enter three stunning girls with the unnatural ability to attract boys and an offer Lucy can’t refuse: They can heal her heart in an instant. And then she’ll be one of them—a member of a sisterhood that is impervious to heartbreak and has access to magic distilled from the tears of brokenhearted boys. But to gain their power, Lucy must get a guy to fall in love with her the old-fashioned way, and then break his heart in the next seven days.

While the sisterhood may need another Heartbreaker, Lucy’s only desire is to get her ex back. But how far is she willing to go, and who is she willing to cross to get what she wants?
My Thoughts:

I decided to read The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers for 3 reasons. First, I fell in love with the cover(I mean, who wouldn't). Secondly, I read that it's about a secret society of heartbreakers who can do magic. You know how I love magic and secret societies so it was definitely a must read for me. And the third and the most important reason is, I'm so tired of all the busy school works and I just needed to divert my attention from all the stress. And the Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers did just that and more. It didn't just diverted my attention to school stress, but also added a whole new kind of stress to me.

Okay, where would I start.

I didn't like Lucy at all. Her obsession over Alex is irritating yet pitiful at same time. I understand that it was her first heartbreak and that Alex is her first love but what I didn't get is that she didn't even question why Alex broke up with her. I mean, that should be the first thing that she should have said when he dumped her. But instead, she just wallow in her misery and I think, it was so illogical on her part.

But no matter how I dislike Lucy for her stupidity, my hate for Alex is so much more because he is such a coward. There are bazillion cliches that can be used in a break up situation, why didn't he use any one of them. Lucy would be very very hurt, that's for sure, but at least she wouldn't have any false hope about their relationship anymore and it would be easier for her to move on.

The only thing that forced me to finish this book is the thought that maybe the secret sisterhood could knock the sense out of Lucy and also I wanted to know how they will use the heartbroken tears. I enjoyed the middle until the last part of this book.

To sum this book up, it has its highs and lows. Does it have the potential to be great? Yes, definitely and I would probably recommend it to everyone who experienced being heartbroken or those who recently experienced a heartbreak.

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015