Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Book Review: Slammed

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Title: Slammed
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre/s: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance

Synopsis:

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.
My Thoughts:

Would you believe me if I said that I didn't know how popular this book was, until I won a copy of it? Yeah, I'm that clueless at how awesome this book was. All the elements about Slammed certainly blown me away; the plot, the writing, the emotions, the characters, and last but not the least, the poetry.

I was really surprised to know that this was Colleen's debut novel. There is so much finesse in here that I had never seen in any debut contemporary novel I've read before. Here are the reasons why I love this book. First of all, the plot was amazing. It's realistically complex. Secondly, the characters were jumping right out of the pages. There was no character I didn't love in this book, even Javi. Thirdly, the emotions from this book just oozes out, spilling over the edges and I can't stop myself from not feeling it. I laugh and cried at the same time and that is not an easy thing to do. And lastly, the poems in this book are supercalifragilistic expialidocious!

I've been a fan of poetry ever since forever that is why I find myself really enthralled to Will's character. The moment he stand up on that stage and recited his poem "Death", I fell head over heels to him immediately.  He has the right balance of flaws and perfection and I can't wait to read Point of Retreat because its in his POV.

I higly recommend this to everyone who loves to laugh and cry at the same time. Pick this book up and I swear, you will not regret it.

My Rating
Books for YA! © 2015