Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Review: Spark(Elemental #2)

Friday, December 14, 2012
Title: Spark(Elemental #2)
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Genre/s: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:


EARTH. FIRE. AIR. WATER.



He could feel flames coming through the floor, looking for him. Sparks and ash rained down. He wasn't going to make it. He was going to fail. Again. Then a hand closed over his wrist and pulled, hard.



Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. So when an arsonist wreaks havoc on his town all the signs point to Gabriel.


Layne is strangely drawn to him. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.

Gabriel can’t let Layne know that the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.


THE FUSE IS LIT…

My Thoughts:

Last month,  I read the first book in this series, Storm, and I loved it. And if you have read my review (click here), then you would know that I don't like Gabriel because he's impulsive and a trouble maker. But you know what? Scratch that! I LOVE HIM NOW. I really don't know how Brigid did it, but she totally changed my perspective over Gabriel and she definitely know how to make him appeal to my good side.

I finally know the reason behind Gabriel's personality. The frustration, the anger, the insecurities and most of all, the guilt towards their parent's death, which were not all connected to his elemental affinity. I already expected that Gabriel must be dealing with something, but I never thought that his problems were so heavy. I'm just glad he found someone, who can see right through him and who can understand what he was feeling, in Layne's character. 

Layne, I think, is the perfect match for Gabriel's character. She matches his stubbornness, balances his bad side and complements his good side. She brings out Gabriel's loving personality that no else can see and I'm really thankful to her.

I can say that Spark surpassed Storm. It made me feel more emotionally invested to the story compared to the first book. The only thing I hate about the story is that (spoiler alert!) Nick is dating Quinn! I mean, I'm not jealous or anything but seriously, why Quinn? Well, don't get me wrong, I like Quinn as Becca's best friend but I don't think she will be a good girlfriend to Nick. Ugh! I really need to read Nick's perspective about this.

Overall, this book has exceeded my expectation and this series deserved a must read rating. 

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015