Saturday, December 15, 2012

Book Review: Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

Saturday, December 15, 2012
Title: Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Genre/s: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance
Synopsis:

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house - parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.

My Thoughts:


With a thought-provoking title and a tempting synopsis like this, I can't help myself from not wanting this book. And you know what I think about it? This book came to me at the right moment at the right time and I really enjoyed it.

All the girls in this book stand out for me. April was one of the character that even if she is so naive and irrational at times, you will still like her. Her random storytelling was over the top and I really like that about her. I also love Vi and Marissa, too, because they're like the good and bad conscience of April and they totally have that kind of vibe to them. And Lucy, the nerdy girl next door, is so adorable, a bit creepy but still she's cute.

And of course, if the girls stood out for me, how much more the boys, right? Well, I love them all, Dean, Zachary, Brett and especially Hudson. I love all of them except for Alex because I don't like him from the very beginning and I knew that there is something fishy going on around him. 

To sum it all up, I had fun reading it. It made me forget about the stress of school works and it's like a breathe of fresh air from all the chaos that is going on in my life. So, if you like a light and easy read, I really think you should try this.

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015