Friday, January 18, 2013

Book Review: Beastly

Friday, January 18, 2013

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Genre/s: Young Adult, Romance, Fairy-tale Retelling
Synopsis:

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

My Thoughts:

Kyle Kingsbury was rich, hot and popular. He was almost perfect, if he wasn't such a jerk. Kendra(an immortal witch who disguised herself as an ugly, weird girl) have had enough of his arrogance and so she cast a spell on Kyle making him into a furry, clawed monster. And just like every other curse, a true love's kiss is the only key to break it and two years is all he's got. 

Okay, to be honest, I only read this book because I really liked its movie. And I always believed that book are better than its movie. So here I am, trying to weigh down whose better and you know what I found out? Book rules!

Anyway, let's move on to my review.

Beastly was a really cute and sweet retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Kyle's POV is super fun to read even when he was being whiny about his appearance. He is still relatable. His lack of parental love is really sad but I'm glad that he have Magda and Will in his side. These two amazing supporting characters filled Kyle's life with love and understanding which his parents lacked. 

"Will, you look like hell" I yelled through the glass door.
"I can't say how you look," he said. "But if you look like you sound, you look like a jerk."

And, Lindy, well, she's average in the book. When Lindy and Kyle first met, I was waiting for the "I've seen worse" scene in the movie but (surprise!) it didn't happen in the book. I was actually disappointed when I found that out but I gotta say, the climax in the book was more action-packed and is definitely better than the movie.

So if you love fairytale retelling or fairytale stories and if you love fluffy romance then you have to try this one. I recommend it.

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015