Saturday, January 05, 2013

Book Review: The Fine Arts of Truth or Dare

Saturday, January 05, 2013


Title: The Fine Arts of Truth or Dare
Author: Melissa Jensen
Genre/s: Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction

Synopsis:


Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss in this charming romantic comedy


Ella is nearly invisible at the Willing School, and that's just fine by her. She's got her friends - the fabulous Frankie and their sweet cohort Sadie. She's got her art - and her idol, the unappreciated 19th-century painter Edward Willing. Still, it's hard being a nobody and having a crush on the biggest somebody in the school: Alex Bainbridge. Especially when he is your French tutor, and lessons have started becoming, well, certainly more interesting than French ever has been before. But can the invisible girl actually end up with a happily ever after with the golden boy, when no one even knows they're dating? And is Ella going to dare to be that girl?
My Thoughts:

The only reason why I read this book is because of it's blurb and how it was compared to Anna and the French Kiss. But as I read the story further, I didn't see anything in it that resembled Anna and the French Kiss which really disappointed me because you know how I love AFK. But anyway, I wouldn't review this book base on the misleading blurb but on the impression of the story to me.

TFAoTD is a cute story of an "invisible" girl and a popular jock. Fiorella is funny and cute but I find it hard to connect to her character because of her weird conversations with Edward Willing. I'm sometimes confused if this is contemporary or paranormal fantasy because of it. Alex was okay but I'm not swooned by his charisma. Those are the two main characters which in my opinion, are a bit weak in "ompf" factor. The only character that shine for me in this book is Frankie and Daniel. They just have that kind of personality and presence that you can't easily ignore or forget.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book is that it has a lot of French dialogues that doesn't have an English translation. It's a bit of an inconvenience to some people who doesn't have any background on French like me because we have to translate it first in order for us to know what they said, which is a big waste of time and energy on our part. That's my only complain about this book.

Overall, it was a nice book. If you like arts, French and sweet love story, check out this book.

My Rating


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my post. :D

Books for YA! © 2015