Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Review: Girl of Nightmares

Friday, January 25, 2013
Title: Girl of Nightmares (Anna #2)
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre/s: Young Adult, Horror, Fantasy, Mystery,

Synopsis:

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.


His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

My Thoughts:

Do you know the feeling of saying goodbye to someone so close to you? The feeling of agony when you realized that you're going to live without them anymore?  Well, that's exactly what I felt after I read Girl of Nightmares. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but you understand how that feels, right?

Kendare Blake just did it again. She, once again, took me to her world full of ghost, zombies and other creepy crawlies and made me want to stay there forever. It was so good that I don't want it to end.

“She crossed over death to call me. I crossed through Hell to find her.”

I felt Cas' misery whenever she sees Anna suffering. I totally understand his desire to save the person he loves most and I supported his decision all through out. Cas is such a strong, perfectly flawed hero and he knows when to lighten up the mood with his wicked sense of humor. And that's what I love about him.


“Every time I question him about the feasibility, he smiles at me like he's Yoda and I'm just a dumbass without the Force.”

Thomas, on the other hand, is the most badass witch bestfriend anyone could have. He will save you from any spell or curse that is cast upon you. He will do everything in his power for you to see the love of your life. And he will always be there to support you no matter how stupid your decisions are. 

“Guys," he says. "After this is over, can we go get a burger or something?"

"You're thinking about food now?" Carmel asks.
"Hey, you haven't spent the last three days fasting and doing herbal rue steams and drinking nothing but Morfran's gross chrysanthemum purification potions." Carmel and I grin at each other in the mirror. "It isn't easy becoming a vessel. I'm freaking starving.”


Carmel and Thomas has a bit of a misunderstanding in this book and I understand where she's coming from. What she did was logical but I don't think her method is the right one. She should have said what she wanted rather than hurting Thomas' feelings. Anyway, they eventually made up at the end and it was so fun to see them together again and kicking zombies' asses in the Suicide Forest.

“Damsels? You get sliced open, burned, and dashed against rocks about a thousand times or so. Then we'll see who the damsel is.”

And last but certainly not the least, Anna is still the goddess of death for me even if she has been tortured a thousand times. Her lack of appearance in this book didn't lessen her awesomeness when she and Cas fought side by side.  

I was holding my breath for the last 3 chapters this book, it was a miracle that I didn't faint for the lack of oxygen. The ending was a bit sad but it was still great! I couldn't think of any better way to end this series. 

If you haven't read this series yet, then what are you waiting for? Read it NOW!

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015