Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: Hopeless

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre/s: Young Adult/New Adult, Contemporary Romance

Synopsis:

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


Recommended for readers 17+ due to sexual content, harsh language and heavy subject matter.
My Thoughts:

Colleen Hoover never cease to amaze me. Her ability to create a heartfelt story with amazing and realistic characters, always blew my mind. And Hopeless, just like Slammed and Point of Retreat, doesn't disappoint.

Meet Sky. She's the kind of girl that doesn't have a Facebook account, doesn't own a cellphone and doesn't have a TV in their house. She's so isolated to technology that she thought the meaning of LOL was lots of love. She's the kind of girl that feels numb whenever she's making out with guys. She's also the kind of girl that doesn't cry and doesn't know the feeling of lust. But all of that changed the moment she met Holder.

Oh Holder, I would loved to describe you in my own words but I think, I would just let Sky do the talking.

As soon as I lay eyes on him, I immediately notice three things:
1) His amazingly perfect white teeth hidden behind that seductively crooked grin.
2) The dimples that form in the crevices between the corners of his lips and cheeks when he smiles.
3) I’m pretty sure I’m having a hot flash.
Or I have butterflies.
Or maybe I’m coming down with a stomach virus.


Their love story is definitely different from all the contemporary stories that I read. It was real, it was heartbreaking, it's definitely tragic yet it was beautiful. I don't know how Colleen created this story or how she got this idea but I'm glad she wrote this and shared it to the world. 

This book oozes with emotion that I can't stop myself from crying. It tugs at my heart and it didn't let go until I read the whole story. I am emotionally drained after it but I loved it. 

It was so "butterflying" AMAZING! (just like I thought it would be and more)


My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015