Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Book Review: Starflower

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Title: Starflower (Tales of Goldstone Woods #4)
Author: Elisabeth Stengl
Genre/s: Young Adult, Fantasy, Christian Fiction

Synopsis:

When a cursed dragon-witch kidnaps the lovely Lady Gleamdren, Eanrin sets boldly forth on a rescue mission...and a race against his rival for Gleamdren's favor. Intent upon his quest, the last thing the immortal Faerie needs is to become mixed up with the troubles of an insignificant mortal.


But when he stumbles upon a maiden trapped in an enchanted sleep, he cannot leave her alone in the dangerous Wood Between. One waking kiss later, Eanrin suddenly finds his story entangled with that of young Starflower. A strange link exists between this mortal girl and the dragon-witch. Will Starflower prove the key to Lady Gleamdren's rescue? Or will the dark power from which she flees destroy both her and her rescuer?

 My Thoughts:

To be honest, I was having second thoughts when I accepted this book. I don't usually read Christian fantasy fictions so I don't know what to expect from it and this is the 4th in the series and I thought, I might have a hard time catching up with the story.

But when Ms. Stengl said that "while STARFLOWER is the fourth in the series, it is a stand-alone novel that predates the other three..." I had a big sigh of relief. And when I found out that this book is from an award winning series, I had to read it. 

Starflower is brilliantly written! The worldbuilding and narrative just sucked you right into the world of fantasy inhabited by fairies, dragons, witch, princess and other magical creatures. Every characters jumped right out of the pages. 

I liked Gleamdren even if she's annoying and quite melodramatic.She's hilarious in my opinion and her prima donna character really suits her. I admire Starflower. She has a great heart and a strong will and you know how I love heroines with that kind of quality. I'm just sad that she doesn't have a voice but anyway, she still managed to express herself through her language. 

And how can I forgot to mention the hero of the story. I really don't like Eanrin, at first, because he's so full of himself and that is not an attractive quality especially for the Prince of Poetry. But after he met Starflower, well let's just say that, true love really brings out the best in a person. 

This book is full of adventure and romance. And if you like faeries, dragons, and a fairytale-like story, I think you should read this book. :)

My Rating
Books for YA! © 2015