Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: Unravel Me

Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Title: Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Genre/s: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

it's almost

time for war.


Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

My Thoughts:

When I finished reading Shatter Me, I have high hopes that Juliette's life will finally get better especially because she's now in Omega Point. I expected her to feel the sense of belongingness that she desperately yearned for so long. But I was wrong, because after just a few days of stay in Omega Point she went back to her gloomy self again and I was disappointed with her.

Well, I sort of understand where she's coming from. I mean, I know how hard it is to be the new girl. Introducing yourself to everyone is really nerve-racking especially when they already have their prejudices about you. But that's not the reason why I'm disappointed in here. What really saddened me in Juliette's demeanor is that she easily gave up. She didn't make friends with anyone and she didn't even try to change what people is saying about her. She's so melodramatic and she pity herself too much at times and it's kinda irritating. I almost forgot why I admire her in the first place. I'm just glad that Kenji is there to give her a reality check. He totally knock some sense out of Juliette when he talked to her about her immature behavior.

And speaking of Kenji, I'm loving him more and more in this book. You know how I love guys with sense of humor right? Well, right now, Kenji is super irresistible to me. He consistently and effortlessly make the mood lighter whenever he's around. And without him I wouldn't enjoy this book so much.

Anyway, after Kenji talked to Juliette, she finally realized what she's doing wrong. She finally picked herself up and became the girl who I admired in Shatter Me. She befriended Winston, Brendan and the girls, and soon enough she finds herself happy with having new people to talk to. Especially now that she and Adam have misunderstanding which lead to their *spoiler alert* break-up.

Oh, Adam. I can't bear to talk about him right now. His so intense, in a bad way and his interaction with Juliette is so painful to read. He let his control and calmness slip away and his not making anything easier because he's almost always mad.

Good thing, Warner is finally there to sweep Juliette off her feet just like what he did to me on Destroy Me. Ehem! Anyway, Juliette now saw the real Warner and somehow understood the things he went through especially after she met Warner's father, Commander in Chief Anderson. In my opinion, their first meeting end really well, but in Anderson's opinion, not so much. I guess, he's not impressed in girls who can shoot a gun and can incapacitated him. 

Overall, I still give this a 5 star because Juliette recover herself soon enough to wow me with her fighting skills and ability. And also because I did not expect the revelation which almost gave me a heart attack. 

Action-packed + emotional + hot romance + shocking revelation, Unravel Me is two times the awesomeness of Shatter Me. Everyone should definitely read this!  

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015