Sunday, March 17, 2013

ARC Review: Pitch Green

Sunday, March 17, 2013
Title: Pitch Green (Dimensions of Death #1)
Author: The Brothers Washburn
Genre/s: Young Adult, Horror, Suspense, Paranormal, Mystery

Synopsis:

Trona is a small, smoggy, mostly insignificant town in Colorado. Besides a booming chemical plant, the only thing that characterizes this dismal town is dirt, sagebrush, and an enormous abandoned mansion. 

The mansion is, admittedly, the only notable addition to Trona, but it’s something everyone tries to avoid due to its creepy facade. Everyone except for Camm Smith, who is obsessed with the need to get inside.

Seven years earlier, as Camm herded a pack of little trick-or-treaters past the mansion, her young neighbor, Hugh, disappeared, becoming just one of many children who have vanished from Trona over the years without a trace. Now a senior in high school, Camm is still haunted by the old tragedy and is sure the answer to the mysterious disappearances lies hidden somewhere in the decaying mansion. Joining forces with her best friend, Cal, who also happens to be Hugh’s older brother, Camm naively begins a perilous search for the truth.

As things spiral quickly out of control, and others die, Camm and Cal discover it will take all their combined ingenuity to stay alive. An unseen creature, lurking deep within the bowels of the mansion, seems to have supernatural powers and is now hunting them. Making matters worse, they become entangled with hostile federal agents, who care only about keeping old secrets permanently hidden. Left with only their wit and seemingly ineffective firearms, they know they are running out of time. Unless they can make sense out of the few pieces of the puzzle they manage to unearth, the monster will certainly destroy them, and like so many others before them, they will be gone without a trace.

My Thoughts:

If I would describe reading Pitch Green in 3 words, it would be spine-tingling, action-packed, awesomeness. It's not everyday that I can find a horror book that can scare the hell out of me but Pitch Green effortlessly did that to me. It was definitely hard to put down.

The characters jump right out of the pages. They're realistically flawed and super relatable. Camm and Cal are the most badass mystery-solving duo I've ever encountered in my entire reading life. With Camm's focus and intelligence and Cal's strength and gun know-how, these two teenagers are unstoppable once they agree on a certain goal. But what I admire to both of them is their audacity and their perseverance. I mean, it's easier to run away to something you don't know, right, but this two teens faced it head on and I'm totally amazed by them. 

There's no dull moment with this book. Every scene has something interesting going on in it. I almost had a heart-attack when the Guardian tracked Camm to their house. I didn't realized I was holding my breath when the lights in Camm's house turned off. It was so intense that I almost pissed my pants (no joke). But Pitch Green is not all horror if that's what you think. It also have some fun parts like when Camm and Cal introduced their names to Agent Allen (that part was hilarious) and also, when they do their bantering. 


Overall, Pitch Green reminds me why I love horror and mystery books. It will scare you to death and the mystery in this book will keep you guessing from beginning to end. The Brothers Washburn are, now, my new favorite horror authors other than Stephen King. I'm definitely looking forward to the next installation of this awesome new series. 

So what are you waiting for? If you love horror, suspense and mystery or you just love a good scare, check this book out and you wouldn't regret it. 


My Rating 


* I received a review copy from the publicist for an honest review*
Books for YA! © 2015