Sunday, March 03, 2013

Book Review: Everneath

Sunday, March 03, 2013
Title: Everneath (Everneath #1)
Author: Brodi Ashton
Genre/s: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.

My Thoughts:

I wasn't prepared for this book. Not at all. And right now, all I can think about is that Brodi Ashton struck my Achilles' hills. Yes, you heard it right. I love mythology specifically, Greek and Roman. So when I finally read about the Everliving has a Greek origin behind their existence, I didn't stop reading it until I was done.

The first time I read the Nikki Beckett, it instantly reminds me of the TV series called Castle which is one of my favorite TV show. If you watched the show, you'd probably now who I was referring to. Anyway, at first, I really don't like Nikki because she's too depressing for me. But as I read the whole story, I finally understand why she's acting that way and I'm telling you, she definitely have the right to be depressed. I don't know how but her moodiness grew on me.

Jack was sweet and heroic and he totally proved how much he loved Nikki with his final act. I just really he's perfect for Nikki. On the otherhand, I thought Cole was selfish and self-centered. He only think of himself and how he can rule  the Everneath. He think he can always get what he wanted. I mean, yeah, he's hot and immortal, big deal. But this is life, you don't always get what you want. And second of all, reading, or for this instance, feeding off of a girls emotion doesn't mean you already know her r whats in her mind or what she needs or what's best for her. You still need to talk to her and listen to what she is saying, in order to truly understand her. Inhaling her emotion and taking all the pain away is not really the best and advisable thing to do.

It was really slow at the beginning but it picks-up in the middle. Overall, I was really entertained with the story. I can't wait to read more of Jack and Nikki. :)

My Rating 

Books for YA! © 2015