Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Book Review: Time Between Us

Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Title: Time Between Us
Author: Tamara Ireland Stone
Genre/s: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance

Synopsis:

Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett has the unique ability to travel through time and space, which brings him into Anna’s life, and with him a new world of adventure and possibility.

As their relationship deepens, the two face the reality that time may knock Bennett back to where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate, what consequences they can bear in order to stay together, and whether their love can stand the test of time.

Fresh, exciting, and deeply romantic, Time Between Us is a stunning, spellbinding debut from an extraordinary new voice in YA fiction.

My Thoughts:



I'm a big fan of time-travelling stories ever since the movie Back to the Future. So, when I read about the blurb of Time Between Us, I didn't even think twice and added it immediately on my TBR.

Anna is the kind of girl who loves adventure. Her dream to cover her world map with pins showed how much she wanted adventure in her life and that's probably what attracted her to Bennett. You see, Bennett's life is an adventure in itself and his ability to time travel and teleport to places made it all possible. They're love story was almost normal. The only problem that separates them was physics, specifically, the space and time continuum.

There were times when I like Anna and there where times when I don't. But I guess, that's just normal because she's a realistic character with flaws. But seriously, though, what was she thinking? I really wanted to choke her, right there and then, when she asked Bennett to go back in time and save her best friend. I mean, I understand where she's coming from but still, that doesn't mean she should undo things just because she can. That's the only thing that put me off with her character.

I find Bennett inconsistent in the first few parts but I finally understand why he acted that way in the middle part. He's a really awesome guy but I feel like he has a lot more to tell, that's why I'm super excited when Tammara announced that there will be a sequel to this book and it is going to be in Bennett's POV. Anyway, I love Bennett here but I'm looking forward to knowing him more and his story in Time After Time.

The plot was confusing at some part, for me. I also have an issue about the Brooke situation. Rather than going back to 1995 and waiting for Brooke to show up, I think, Bennett should have just went back five or ten minutes before they time travel to 1994 so that he can replace his past self and stop whatever was going to happen next. It would probably be less stressful for him and for everyone else. But the only disadvantage of my theory would be, he and Anna wouldn't meet and therefore their wouldn't be any love story to tell. So as much as I love to be practical and efficient in solving their problems, I still wouldn't trade it for a good love story like this, that defies all boundaries.

So, if you love time-travelling or if you like a romance that surmounts the laws of physics, then you would adore this one.
 


My Rating
Books for YA! © 2015