Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review: Warm Bodies

Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Genre/s: Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Horror, Romance

Synopsis:

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, noidentity, and no pulse, but he has dreams.After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and stragely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a blast of color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that surrounds R. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world.

Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead, and the blurry line in between.

My Thoughts:

When I think about zombies, I think about dumb, instinct-driven, blood-oozing, gross-looking entity whose only purpose is to eat human flesh. But everything changed after I read Warm Bodies.


"I AM DEAD, but it’s not so bad."


I was captured immediately by R within the first sentence of this book. He was intriguing, has a sense of humor and he was quite profound for a zombie. R might be unrealistic for some people, but as for me, I never question his character not even a bit. I never thought I would say this but I fell in love with him, I fell in love with a zombie. I know, I know, it sounds ridiculous. Zombies don't think and they don't feel but R is not your average zombie so back off. 


“I can feel it...the chance to start over, to live right, to love right, to burn up in a fiery cloud and never again be buried in the mud.”


I also love Julie. She was perfectly imperfect and her actions and decisions was realistically human. I know it was inevitable but when Julie left, I felt R's confusion and hurt and even if I expected it to happen, it was really hard not to sympathize for him. 


“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.”


I commend Isaac Marion for doing a really great job with this book. The world-building was believable, the characters were jumping right out of the pages, the prose were flawless and the story was both funny and heartwarming. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Warm Bodies will teach you how to become human in more ways than one. Must read! :)

My Rating 

Books for YA! © 2015