Saturday, September 28, 2013

Author's Slambook: Shannon Delany, author of Weather Witch

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Author Bio
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Shannon Delany has been writing since she could hold a pencil and string words together in some vague semblance of a sentence. She loves myths, legends, folklore, music, art and research, and when she isn't writing, revising or obsessing over a story she enjoys spending time with her family and taking trips with them. She maintains a small farm featuring heritage livestock, rescued dogs, and adopted cats. Her novels include: 13 to Life, Secrets and Shadows, Bargains and Betrayals, Destiny and Deception, Rivals and Retribution (the 13 to Life series through St. Martin's Press), and Weather Witch, Stormbringer (January 2014), and a 3rd upcoming novel in the Weather Witch series (also through St. Martin's Press, summer 2014). Her 13 to Life novels are available in translation in Brazil, Turkey, Germany, France, and Hungary. She has also contributed to three charity anthologies: Spirited: 13 Haunting Tales (Leap Books); Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes (Month 9 Books); Very Superstitious (October 2013, Month 9 Books).
Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? As a brown-eyed girl, I most love the blue of both my husband's eyes and my son's eyes.
2. Favorite food? Homemade pizza!
3. Favorite movie of all time? The Princess Bride--it's so witty and silly!
4. Favorite song? The Ballad of Love and Hate by the Avett Brothers
5. Favorite book of all time? Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey--it made me think about many things differently.

All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originate?
I had some great teachers early on and my parents were always supportive of my creative endeavors.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Crazy and obsessive. Hours and hours of writing, pacing, and making crockpot meals so my family eats. :)

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
I started by writing 13 to Life online at Textnovel.com and won the first-ever cell phone novel contest in the western world because of that. But mainly I stay clear of the internet when I'm on a writing binge and I just type on my laptop like a crazy woman.

4. What was the hardest part in writing your book? The easiest?
All of my books are different... The hardest part is probably when I revise a book--I get very picky! The easiest is usually the actual writing of the rough draft--that usually comes rushing out of my fingertips.

5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I do some art, check out live music and museums, take online classes, and, most importantly I love spending time with my family.

Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is nearly non-existent some days
2. Research is what I'm doing when I'm starting to develop a book and when I'm filling in details in the book
3. I can write better when I'm properly caffeinated!
4. Sleep is an excellent way to keep my brain working for writing when I wake back up.
5. A room without a book is a room improperly designed and yet undecorated
Books
Title: Weather Witch
Genre/s: Young Adult, Paranormal Historical Fiction
Publisher: St. Martin Press
Date Published: June 25, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Book Depo

Synopsis:

In a vastly different and darker Philadelphia of 1844, steam power has been repressed, war threatens from deep, dark waters, and one young lady of high social standing is expecting a surprise at her seventeenth birthday party–but certainly not the one she gets!

Jordan Astraea, who has lived out all of her life in Philadelphia’s most exclusive neighborhood, is preparing to celebrate her birthday with friends, family and all the extravagance they might muster. The young man who is most often her dashing companion, Rowen Burchette, has told her a surprise awaits her and her best friend, Catrina Hollindale, wouldn’t miss this night for all the world!

But storm clouds are gathering and threatening to do far more than dampen her party plans because someone in the Astraea household has committed the greatest of social sins by Harboring a Weather Witch.
Books for YA! © 2015