Monday, September 23, 2013

Author's Slambook: Tellulah Darling, author of The Blooming Goddess Trilogy

Monday, September 23, 2013

Author Bio:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Tellulah Darling
noun

1. YA romantic comedy author because her first kiss sucked and she's compensating.
2. Alter ego of former screenwriter.
3. Sassy minx.

Geeks out over: cool tech. Squees for: great storytelling. Delights in: fabulous conversation. Writes about: where love meets comedy. Awkwardness ensues.
Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? Purple
2. Favorite food? Really good toasted bread with butter
3. Favorite movie of all time? I have a top ten. But I'll give you my favourite romantic comedy since that's what I write: When Harry Met Sally.
4. Favorite song? At the moment, it's Adele's cover of Lovesong by The Cure. It makes me yearn and swoon and I hope to one day write a book that makes others feel the way that song does for me.
5. Favorite book of all time? That is a cruel cruel question. Sigh ... Okay, I'll go with Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originated?
I don't remember a time I wasn't making up stories, so there was no real starting point.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
It depends where in the process I am. If I'm trying to figure out my story, then I might not write at all. I just spend a lot of time thinking about characters and plot and theme. And scrawling notes on random bits of paper that I eventually turn into an outline. But once I'm writing the draft, I get more and more consumed with the story and my writing time increases until I'm resenting my family for wanting clean clothes and food because all I want to do is write.

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
I always use an outline. Even if I toss it partway through the book. I like to have a loose journey laid out for me and understand my characters' start and end points.

4. What was the hardest part in writing your book?
The outline is always the hardest. Because every action taken has to stem from character. There's no point trying to shove my characters into some plot direction because I think it might be cool. It won't ring true. So that means I need to really truly understand these people and how they would behave at every turn.

The easiest? Dialogue is really easy for me. That might be because of my screenwriting background or because I'm naturally wordy and mouthy.

5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read. Such a cliché, I know, but it's true. Reading refuels me. I can whip through a book a day easily.
Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is not always clear.
2. Research is what I'm doing when I'm shamelessly eavesdropping.
3. I can write better when I've put in the time to figure out my characters.
4. Sleep is an excellent way to end the day.
5. A room without a book is a room in someone else's house.

Books
Title: My Ex From Hell (The Blooming Goddess #1)
Genre/s: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Romance
Publisher: Te Da Media
Date Published: April 1, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | Barnes&Nobles | Book Depo

Synopsis

Sixteen-year-old Sophie Bloom wishes she’d been taught the following:
a) Bad boy’s presence (TrOuBlE) + teen girl’s brain (DraMa) = TrAuMa (Highly unstable and very volatile.)
b) The Genus Greekulum Godissimus is notable for three traits: 1) awesome abilities, 2) grudges, and 3) hook-ups, break-ups, and in-fighting that puts cable to shame.

Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bitchy teen yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding school for mouthy behaviour. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.

Literally.

This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.

Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.

Big picture: master her powers, get her memories back, defeat Persephone’s would be assassin, and save the world. Also, sneak into the Underworld to retrieve stolen property, battle the minions of Hades and Zeus, outwit psycho nymphs, slay a dragon, rescue a classmate, keep from getting her butt expelled from the one place designed to keep her safe …

… and stop kissing Kai, Prince of the Underworld.

My Ex From Hell is a YA romantic comedy/Greek mythology smackdown. Love meets comedy with a whole lot of sass in book one of this teen fantasy romance series. Compared to Kai and Sophie, Romeo and Juliet had it easy.

Title: My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess #2)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Romance
Publisher: Te Da Media
Expected Publication: October 31, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List

Synopsis:

Sophie Bloom’s junior year has been a bit of a train wreck. After the world’s greatest kiss re-awakened Sophie’s true identity as Persephone (Goddess of Spring and Savior of Humanity), she fought her dragon-lady guidance counselor to the death, navigated mean girl Bethany’s bitchy troublemaking, and dealt with the betrayal of her backstabbing ex, Kai (sexy Prince of Darkness). You’d think a girl could catch a break.

Yeah, right.

With Zeus stepping things up, it’s vital that Sophie retrieve Persephone’s memories and discover the location of the ritual to stop Zeus and Hades. So when Aphrodite strikes a deal that can unlock Sophie’s pre-mortal past, what choice does the teen goddess have but to accept?

The mission: stop media mogul Hermes from turning Bethany into a global mega-celebrity. The catch? Aphrodite partners Sophie and Kai to work together … and treat this suicide mission as a date. Which could work out for Sophie’s plan to force Kai to admit his feelings for her–if she doesn’t kill him first.

Add to that the fact that BFF Theo’s love life and other BFF Hannah’s actual life are in Sophie’s hands, and suddenly being a teenager—even a godlike one—seems a bit like … well, hell. Whatever happened to dinner and a movie?

The YA romantic comedy/Greek mythology fireworks continue to fly in My Date From Hell. Love meets comedy with a whole lot of sass in book two of this teen fantasy romance series. Breaking up is easy; dating is deadly.
Books for YA! © 2015